The ACT Intergenerational Playgroup program provides a unique opportunity for young children to learn and promote gentler Interaction with the older generation through play in range of settings.
These groups provide mutual and additional benefits to all generations
- Encourage friendship across generations
- help prevent feelings of isolation associated with ageing
- Foster understanding and build respect between generations
- Share senior’s parenting knowledge and experience with young parents.
These groups are open to young families with children aged 0-5 years and are operating in aged care facilities and day club centres across Canberra.
Research suggests that Intergenerational Playgroups improve outcomes and quality of life for older people, particularly those experiencing:
- Dementia and disengagement from community.
There are a number of studies done on Intergenerational Playgroups and the benefits for aged care residents and attending families. Research by Skropeta C M, Colvin A and Sladen S (2014) into participation benefits included the following outcomes for older residents:
- Increase in dignity, particularly with residents who have dementia
- Increase in longer lasting joy and happiness
- Higher levels of self-esteem
- More active participation in the community
Have you been to an Intergenerational playgroup before?
Now is a great time to try one (or more!).
Current groups include (during ACT school terms only):
- RSL Life Care Page Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Monday 10.00am to 11.30am
- St Andrew’s Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Wednesday 10.30am to 12pm
- Pines Living Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Friday 10.00am to 11.30am
- Miranjani Intergenerational Playgroup– Every Saturday 10.00am to 11.30am
- Calvary Haydon Intergenerational Playgroup– Every Friday 10.00am to 11.30am
- Harrison Heritage Intergenerational Playgroup– Every Friday 10.00am to 11.30am
- Gordon Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Thursday 10.00am to 11.30am
- FULL – Weston Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Monday 10.00am to 11.30am
- FULL – Lyneham Intergenerational Playgroup – Every Tuesday 10.00am to 11.30am
Please note that due to the current health situation, many Aged Care Facilities are changing their visitor policies. In this case we are trying to arrange alternative venues for these groups. For up to date information about this, please check the Intergenerational Playgroups Canberra Facebook page at:
Due to demand generated from the ABC TV series, some of our intergenerational playgroups are currently full and not accepting new families. If you would like to be placed on our mailing list for future groups or vacancies, please contact us.
What is Ageless Play?
Ageless Play seeks to bring together the generations through a range of playgroup programs, supporting communities and nurturing relationships through play.
For more information on this program and our partnership with the ABC TV series “Old People’s Home for 4 Year Olds” head to: https://playgroupaustralia.org.au/intergenerational-playgroup/
Playgroup Australia and ACT Playgroups has partnered with OPAN for the ‘Stay Connected and Supported in Your Community’ campaign in association with ABC TV + iview’s award-winning documentary series Old People’s Home for 4 Year Olds. The delightfully inspiring season two, follows a group of older adults living alone who join a group of lively 4-year-olds in an intergenerational play school for learning, connection and friendship.