The ACT Intergenerational Playgroup program provides a unique opportunity for young children to learn and promote gentler Interaction with the older generation through play in range of settings.
These groups provide mutual and additional benefits to all generations
- Encourage friendship across generations
- help prevent feelings of isolation associated with ageing
- Foster understanding and build respect between generations
- Share senior’s parenting knowledge and experience with young parents.
These groups are open to young families with children aged 0-5 years and are operating in aged care facilities and day club centres across Canberra.
Research suggests that Intergenerational Playgroups improve outcomes and quality of life for older people, particularly those experiencing:
- Dementia and disengagement from community.
There are a number of studies done on Intergenerational Playgroups and the benefits for aged care residents and attending families. Research by Skropeta C M, Colvin A and Sladen S (2014) into participation benefits included the following outcomes for older residents:
- Increase in dignity, particularly with residents who have dementia
- Increase in longer lasting joy and happiness
- Higher levels of self-esteem
- More active participation in the community
Have you been to an Intergenerational playgroup before?
Now is a great time to try one (or more!).
Current groups include:
- Weston Intergenerational Playgroup – Miranjani Hostel,
11 Namathjira Drive, Weston
Every Monday 10.00am to 11.30am
- Lyneham Intergenerational Playgroup – Morshead Home,
26 Archibald Street, Lyneham
Every Tuesday 10.00am to 11.30am
- St. Andrew’s Intergenerational Playgroup – St. Andrew’s Village,
95 Groom street, Hughes
Every Wednesday 10.30am to 12pm
- Goodwin Day club Intergenerational Playgroup –
Goodwin day club, 53 Abena Av, Crace
Every 1st & 3rd Thursday of the month 10.45am to 12.15pm
- Pines Living Intergenerational Playgroup –
Pines Living Nursing home, 272 Beasley Street, Farrer
Every Friday 10.00am to 11.30am
For further information on the intergenerational playgroups in Canberra please contact us.